Normal life back in Kashmir, internet restored after two days

Posted July 10, 2017

Jammu and Kashmir Police has ordered all social media sites to be blocked in the Kashmir valley ahead of July 8, the day on which Hizbul terrorist Burhan Wani was killed by security forces past year.

Earlier, the Pakistan-based United Jihad Council had issued an elaborate "protest calendar" to commemorate the first death anniversary of Burhan with protests and rallies being planned across the Valley.

Pervaiz Ahmed Sheikh expressed resentment over the implementation of GST in J&K and stated that Mehbooba Mufti regime had become an agent of RSS whose live example was implementation of GST in the territory.

A security alert has been enforced across the Kashmir Valley, with some preventive arrests made ahead of Saturday's anniversary, police inspector general Muneer Ahmad Khan said. "Those whose vehicles are so confiscated are told to enquire about them after the 13th of July", he said.

Militant leader Burhan Wani was killed past year on July 8 by security forces. Look the way they have imposed strict restrictions all around to prevent people from observing his death anniversary...

Almost 100 people died in the months that followed and many more were seriously injured in the eye from the pellet guns used to quell the protests.

"Both mobile as well as broadband Internet services have been restored in Kashmir", an official said.

Official sources said that the government had given the go-ahead to the security agencies to take "legitimate action" against those Indian nationals who were working for Pakistan, including calling them formally for questioning. The Indian security establishment considers Wani as a militant leader, who not only planned attacks against the security personnel in Jammu and Kashmir, but was also a popular recruiter who lured Kashmiri youth to join militancy.

Unprovoked firing across the Line of Cross (LoC) was exercised by the soldiers of Indian forces from held Kashmir.

All shops, business establishments and petrol pumps remained closed while public transport was off the roads.

Internet services were blocked for more than 12 hours before they were suddenly restored at around 11am on Friday.

In parts of south Kashmir - the epicentre of the renewed insurgency - villagers began intervening in anti-militant raids, throwing stones at government forces to create a distraction and give the rebels a chance to flee.