North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un 'briefed' about missile attack on Guam

Posted August 18, 2017

After being briefed by the military about plans for missile launches, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un said he would watch the conduct of the USA "a little more" before deciding whether to order the firings, Pyongyang's state-run Korean Central News Agency reported Tuesday.

"There must be no more war on the Korean peninsula".

The U.N. Security Council, which includes China, has adopted seven major resolutions in response to North Korea's nuclear weapons ambitions since 2006, Davenport said. Trump also signed similar economic punishments in the United States.

US Defence Secretary James Mattis warned that the US military would defend the country "from any attack, at any time and from any quarter" and that if a missile was thought to be targeting Guam, "we will take it out".

General Joseph Dunford, who chairs the US Joint Chiefs of Staff and is the nation's top uniformed military officer, met Monday with South Korea's defense minister Song Young-Moo and defense chief General Lee Sun-Jin.

On Friday, Trump doubled down on his statement that he would unleash "fire and fury like the world has never seen" if Pyongyang continued its threats, saying in a tweet that "military solutions" were "locked and loaded" for use against North Korea.

China, meanwhile, signaled a potentially important break with North Korea as part of global sanctions.

"If they fire at the United States, it could escalate into war very quickly", he said.

It may be noted that the island of Guam is closer to North Korea than the United States. The two envoys reportedly first engaged in negotiating the release of US college student Otto Warmbier two months ago.

The North Korean People's Army pushed back saying preparations were underway to launch a missile over Japan to land near the US territory of Guam.

Gen. Vincent Brooks, commander of U.S. Forces Korea, said the exercises would go ahead as planned, starting August 21. "We have no desire to inflict harm on the long-suffering North Korean people, who are distinct from the hostile regime in Pyongyang".

Japanese shares rebounded on Tuesday morning, as fears of military conflict between the U.S. and North Korea appeared to recede.

North Korea's state news agency KCNA reported earlier in the day that leader Kim Jong Un had examined plans for a launch.

Asked how anxious people should be, Pompeo told Fox News Sunday: "Nothing imminent".

A foreign ministry spokesman for the North on Tuesday denied the country is now discussing the detainees with Washington.

As long as Kim remains in power, the prospect of another Korean War will loom over East Asia.

South Korea's intention is similar to China which aims for peace on the Korean peninsula. "One has to conclude that the modified engines were made in those factories", Elleman said.

South Korean President Moon Jae-in said there would be no military action without Seoul's consent and his government would prevent war by all means. -China trade. China strenuously rejects linking the two issues.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said that Beijing has said many times the essence of China-U.S. trade and business ties is mutual benefit and that there is no future in any trade war between China and the United States.

Mattis' comments Monday come on the heels of North Korea's warning Saturday that the Trump administration "better talk and act properly" if it doesn't want to meet its "tragic doom". There were widespread calls in the United States for President Lyndon Johnson to send a flotilla of ships to North Korea rescue the crew of the Pueblo and take the ship home.