Gary Neville gives Antonio Conte ominous warning over David Luiz snub

Posted November 07, 2017

"At the end of the match I went to shake the hand [of] the referee and the linesman and then my players", he added. "I was very happy for this", Conte said in the press conference following the win over United. He also said: 'Christensen is the present and the future for Chelsea'. "I have to make the best decision for the team".

In dropping David Luiz for one of Chelsea's biggest games of the season, Conte gave the clearest message that he will not manage in fear of what owner Roman Abramovich might do next. Every day you put my future [in the spotlight].

"That's normal. I must take the best decision for the club, not for a single player. I have to make the best decision for the team".

The defender was poor in last week's 3-0 Champions League hammering at Roma but no one saw what was coming.

During that dressing down, Conte questioned Luiz, along with other members of the squad, and warned them that whoever could not follow his orders would simply not play for him.

Furthermore, Conte was asked how Luiz's place in the team had done a total 180.

The former Juventus manager was equally as unimpressed with the defending of Luiz in Rome, when he, Antonio Rudiger and Cesar Azpilicueta were pulled apart by Edin Dzeko.

David Luiz is not surprised that Nemanja Matic has become a key member of Manchester United's starting lineup since arriving from Chelsea in the summer.

"How many times do you see Christensen in advance of the ball?"

Andreas Christensen took his place in his three-man defence alongside Cesar Azpilicueta and Gary Cahill, with 17-year-old Ethan Ampadu making the bench.

After a third straight Stamford Bridge win over ex-Blues boss Jose Mourinho's United, Conte's men moved to within a point of secondplaced United - nine behind Manchester City.