Smith will not challenge ball-tampering ban

Smith will not challenge ball-tampering ban

The former Australia skipper along with former vice-captain David Warner is suspended from playing first-class or worldwide cricket for his country for 12 months following the ball-tampering scandal in Cape Town last month that shook the sport.

"Today I lodged the paperwork with Cricket Australia and will be accepting the sanction handed down", he said. But his tweet implied otherwise, stating how he seeks to atone for his actions and become a "better teammate and role model". He has gone on to admit that he might never get a chance to play for Australia again.

As for the broader review into Australian cricket, there was yet to be a decision made around who would head it up or a timeframe set, except that it would "take whatever time is necessary".

Former Australian cricket captain Steve Smith has decided against going to a hearing and has accepted the 12 month ban handed down to him by Cricket Australia.

Smith was charged with knowledge of the potential ball-altering plot, but Warner was charged with developing it and instructing Bancroft to carry it out. Smith was found guilty of not doing enough to stop it.

More news: Customers payment data may have been exposed from Sears and Delta

"Of the dozen or so matters of this type (ball-tampering), the most severe suspension to date has been a ban for two one-day internationals".

"CA establishing its own review, selecting the reviewer and then having the findings of the review issued to itself - particularly as it relates to its own corporate culture - is far from transparent", ACA president Greg Dyer said in a statement late Friday. But it started becoming evident when Smith and Co. returned home that they didn't want to prolong the episode. In fact, he felt the players have already copped a bigger punishment than what should have been given if one went by the rule book. Last Wednesday we announced proposed sanctions against those players.

Critics have questioned whether CA's role in the affair should come under scrutiny, but chairman David Peever said he does not intend to step down and that chief executive James Sutherland's job is not in jeopardy.

"The events of Cape Town have severely affected the game", he added. "It has also been humbling to be reminded of the passion all Australians have for our great game".

Peever acknowledged that it will take time for the three players involved in the scandal to win back the respect and trust of Australian fans.

Related Articles