Israel Bombarded by 200 Rockets in 24 Hours

Israel Bombarded by 200 Rockets in 24 Hours

On Saturday night, Hamas and the Palestinian Islamic Jihad terrorist groups announced that they agreed to a ceasefire with Israel, following talks with Egypt and other worldwide bodies.

Media reports said that Egyptian intelligence services had contacted the Hamas leadership in Gaza to try to prevent a further escalation of violence.

Hamas on Saturday said the barrage of rockets and mortar shells into Israeli territory overnight was sacked by the "resistance" to "stop Israeli escalation".

Shortly after, Israeli medical officials said three Israelis were wounded from a rocket that landed on a house in southern Israel.

A spokesperson for the Israeli prime minister did not immediately comment on the ceasefire.

The Hamas-run Gaza health ministry said that two teenagers, aged 15 and 16, were killed in one of the IDF strikes on Saturday, on a building that the military said was used by Hamas for urban combat training and was situated over a tunnel that led into a "massive" underground network in Gaza.

However, Israeli airstrikes Saturday have injured hundreds of civilians, and killed two Palestinian teens who were at a public park next to a unfinished building, Gaza's Health Ministry reported.

There have been no serious Israeli casualties during the so-called "Great March of Return" but big tracts of Israeli land have been ravaged by fires set by incendiary kites or helium balloons flown in from Gaza.

Mr Netanyahu said: "The IDF has struck Hamas with the hardest blow since Operation Protective Edge and we will increase the strength of our attacks as necessary".

More news: Stocks skid as trade war worsens with new tariff threats

Earlier, in a statement, the Israeli army said the attacks targeted 40 military sites belonging to Hamas in the northern city of Beit Lahiya.

According to the IDF, six projectiles were intercepted by the Iron Dome aerial defense system. On Friday, after an Israeli soldier was mildly wounded by a Palestinian protester who threw a hand-grenade Israel retaliated by striking "Hamas targets".

The IDF has launched an investigation into the incident, which has been cited as one of the most grave since the start of the violence at the southern border in March.

Around 10 other passers-by were wounded, the officials said.

The Israeli military carried out its largest daytime airstrike campaign in Gaza since the 2014 war as Hamas militants fired dozens of rockets into Israel, threatening to spark a wider conflagration after weeks of tensions along the volatile border.

The majority were involved in protests and clashes but others were seeking to breach or damage the border fence.

Thousands took part in Friday's protests, which marked 100 days since their launch, with some venturing close to the border fence, burning tyres and throwing stones.

It also cited "continuous arson attacks damaging Israeli territory on a daily basis with the launching of arson balloons from the Gaza Strip into Israeli territory".

Related Articles