Missing flight MH370 - new report says airplane could have been hijacked

Missing flight MH370 - new report says airplane could have been hijacked

Copies of the final investigation report on missing flight MH370 are offered to the media in Putrajaya, Monday, July 30, 2018.

Investigators said Monday they still do not know why Malaysia's Flight MH370 vanished four years ago in aviation's greatest mystery, sparking anger and disappointment among relatives of those on board.

MH370 piloted by Captain Zaharie disappeared on March 8, 2014, while flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

"I'm so happy for the fact that he is cleared but at the end of the story, we want the plane or wreckage to be found", she told the media after attending the briefing report by the Malaysian International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) Annex 13 Safety Investigation Team for MH370 here.

The MH370 story is etched in aviation history as the most freaky incident, how a Boeing 777 with 239 people onboard vanished under mysterious circumstances, unleashing never ending scenarios provided both by aviation experts and conspiracy theorists.

The recorded changes in the aircraft flight path following waypoint IGARI, heading back across Peninsular Malaysia, turning south of Penang to the north-west and a subsequent turn towards the Southern Indian Ocean were hard to attribute to any specific aircraft system failures.

Kok said the investigators examined the history of the pilot and the first officer, and were satisfied with their background and training and mental health, noting that they were well rested and not under financial stress, and showed no evidence of any anxiety or stress.

Nathan said "there is nothing new [in the report], but it highlighting failings of some government agencies".

Ahead of the government's release of its final report on Monday, Malaysian authorities met with family members of those lost to explain the report's findings.

More news: Trump lawyer Giuliani 'confused' to claim attorney-client privilege: Cohen lawyer

The Malaysian-led report, prepared by a 19-member global team, reiterated the assertion that the plane was deliberately diverted and flown for more than seven hours after severing communications. The report said that investigators had determined that such a fire did not take place.

However, they were unable to determine who was responsible.

She said the meeting between relatives and officials descended into a "shouting match" as anger mounted. The report "lacks depth" and may not help prevent such incidents in future, she said, adding the search for the missing plane must continue.

It was the second major search after Australia, China and Malaysia ended a fruitless search across an area of 120,000 sq km (46,332 sq miles) a year ago.

Malaysia called off its search for MH370 on May 29.

One area that came in for criticism in the report by the 19-member team, which included foreign investigators, was air traffic control. But that search was called off after failing to find anything.

It abruptly left its planned route and turned back towards Malaysia, but dropped off the ground off course somewhere around the Indian Ocean.

Former Australian prime minister Tony Abbott is among those to support this theory, saying in the lead up to the third anniversary of the plane's disappearance he found it "plausible". Alhough more than 20 items of debris suspected or confirmed to be from the aircraft have washed ashore on coastlines across the Indian Ocean since then, the body of Boeing 777 has never been found.

Related Articles