Death toll rises to 82 in Indonesia earthquake

Death toll rises to 82 in Indonesia earthquake

Two people died on the neighbouring island of Bali, agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said.

He said thousands of houses and other buildings have been damaged and most of the deaths counted so far were caused by collapsing houses.

A woman walks past debris from a collapsed wall following a strong quake in Lendang Bajur Hamlet, Lombok island, indonesia August 6, 2018 in this photo taken by Antara Foto.

Lombok was hit a week earlier, on July 29, by a 6.4 magnitude quake that killed 17 people, injured hundreds and briefly stranded several hundred trekkers on the slopes of a volcano.

Iwan Asmara, an official from the local Disaster Mitigation Agency, said people poured out from their houses in panic to move to higher ground, particularly in Mataram and North Lombok. On Lombok, soldiers and other rescuers carried injured people on stretchers and carpets to an evacuation center. "People filled the streets", said Michelle Lindsay, an Australian tourist.

Workers remove the debris at a building damaged by an quake in Bali, Indonesia on August 6.

Agung Pramuja, head of the Disaster Mitigation Agency in the West Nusa Tenggara province which includes Lombok and neighbouring islands but not Bali, told Reuters 32 people were confirmed dead, many from northern and western parts of Lombok.

She said the warning was for the lowest level of tsunami, and that small waves just 15 centimeters (6 inches) high were detected in three villages.

Indonesia Earthquake
Inside a cathedral where debris fell after the earthquake

"All the hotel guests were running, so I did too".

Saffron Amis, a British student visiting the Gili Islands off the northwest coast of Lombok, told Reuters by text message that dozens of tourists were evacuated to a hill after the quake.

The cabinet minister was in Indonesia for a regional counter-terrorism conference with a delegation from Australian, including the Australian Federal Police commissioner.

Singapore's Home Affairs Minister K. Shanmugam, who was in Lombok for a security conference when the natural disaster struck, described on Facebook how his hotel room on the 10th floor shook violently. He says the quake "was powerful enough to put us on the floor" and cut power.

Travellers at the global airports in Lombok and Bali were thrown into panic and there was minor damage to the buildings, but operations were not disrupted, officials said.

Video aired by Kompas TV showed patients being evacuated from a hospital in Bali's Tabanan district.

All New Zealanders on Lombok are being advised to register their details on the ministry's safe travel website and let their families in New Zealand know that they are safe.

More news: Galaxy Note9 is "1TB ready" according to video published by Samsung NZ

Related Articles