Surfer dies from brain eating amoeba after visiting Waco, Texas, resort

Surfer dies from brain eating amoeba after visiting Waco, Texas, resort

The stir began last month, when New Jersey's Fabrizio Stabile visited a Texas wave pool and tragically ingested the deadly amoeba.

Stabile, an avid outdoorsman, came down with a sudden severe headache while mowing his lawn September 16, according to a GoFundMe page.

Naegleria fowleri is a deadly brain-eating amoeba-and not the kind of thing you want to come in contact with.

Stabile's family has issued an obituary, which described him as someone who loves snowboarding, surfing and fishing.

CDC spokesman Kelly Craine told KBTX that her organization was 'currently investigating to find the source'. The agency is testing for Naegleria fowleri, colloquially known as a "brain-eating amoeba".

Infections can happen when contaminated water enters the body through the nose.

The owner of BSR Cable Park, Stuart E. Parsons Jr., said the park will continue to comply with requests related to the investigation of Stabile's death.

More news: OnePlus 6T To Launch With Seven Accessories, Prices Leak

Symptoms start between one and nine days after swimming or other nasal exposure to Naegleria-containing water. The fatality rate is over 97 percent, with only four people surviving the infection, according to statistics kept since 1962.

According to Parsons, the rest of the park's amenities are unaffected so only those who frequented the wave pool should be alarmed. He later died of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis caused by the amoeba.

The resort, BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort, has voluntarily closed pending test results for the amoeba.

The "heat-loving" amoeba causes PAM, or primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), a rare and almost always fatal disease of the central nervous system, according to the CDC.

This typically occurs when people go swimming or diving in warm freshwater places, like lakes and rivers.

A GoFundMe page has been created by Stabile's family and friends to help bring awareness to the rare but preventable infection.

According to the CDC, Naegleria fowleri infections are rare, with just 34 reported between 2008 and 2017. The federal agency says only four of the 143 people known to have been infected in the USA between 1962 and 2017 have survived.

Related Articles